|Posted by Marianne Halbert on August 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM|
1. What is the working title of your book? The title of my collection is "Wake Up and Smell the Creepy." That's been my tagline for several years, so I thought it was an appropriate title for my first collection. Hoping to launch it October 2012.
2. Where did the idea come from for the book? I guess enough people kept asking where they could get my stories, and right now they're in over 20 different places. This will let them find my first 9 stories all in one place.
3. What genre does your book fall under? All of the stories are creepy in one way or another. Some crime fiction, some speculative, some horror.
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? I'd be thrilled if Michael Fassbender ever played one of my characters. I could definitely see him in "The Last Spectre" or "Proof Beyond a Shadow."
5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Some mystery, some weird, some horror, all dark.
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Each of the stories was originally "traditionally" published in various magazines and anthologies, but I'll be self-pubbing the collection.
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? That's a toughie. Some of the stories flowed and required very little effort. Usually those were the ones I'd had rattling around in my head long enough that they were ready to jump on the page. Others took longer. And more re-writes. I'm big on the rewrite.
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? Wow. I guess some of King's collections, in the sense that there's such a variety of stories, not all are supernatural but they are all unsettling.
9. Who or What inspired you to write this book? The ideas usually come from random observations, but my husband and kids inspired me to pursue writing and putting this collection together.
10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? I'm fortunate that I have a great cover artist working on it and some good blurbs from authors I've respected for years. All will be revealed in time!